Like most of
you the intervening 26 years have been full and rich , challenging and transformative. As I look back though what strikes me is all
that I simply did not know was going to happen: places, people, experiences and
lessons that I did not know that I did not know. Obviously we are aware that there is much we
do not know (we certainly should be!). What catches us off guard though is the
utterly unexpected, things we had not considered or were even aware of, and especially
people that we didn’t know existed.
On the
flight over Mull the small plane passed over at least five homes of people from
St Columba’s and I could see the homes of two others. These are good folk I have got to know during
this last year and they were there for me in the spring when I was on the island
as news came that my dad had passed away.
The landscape I looked down on was not only beautiful and even majestic
it also had people in it who had become friends, buildings that were actually friendly
homes and a shelter for me when I needed it.
My early
thirties-self had no way of knowing any of this, focused as he was on the
immediate unknowns and present challenges at that season of our lives. And yet in all the five churches and
communities we have served since then what
was unknown was slowly inhabited by people with much goodness and generosity of
heart and through it all the faithfulness of God. Of course there were challenges and
difficulties, losses and even pain. Our faith acknowledges a full emotional
register and the bible is able to blend the shadows with the light in it’s
stories and psalms, teaching and poetry, lament and praise.
So as I enter
the second year of my role amongst the churches and communities of the west
coast, I am encouraged to hope, not that all will be smooth, but that the
uncertainties and unknowns are actually gift bearers of new friendships,
insights and experiences of God. Somehow
we grow into our lives by walking the pilgrim path we find ourselves on and we
do indeed find what we need when we need it, quite often in the most unexpected
places and people.

Comments
Post a Comment