Skip to main content

'Time Out' and the true value of things

 



I've been two weeks away from the work I love due to salmonella poisoning.  This itself was a result of eating an egg which I fried knowing there was something wrong with it.  In my abundance of optimism I had thought 'I'll be fine...my stomach grew up in India, it can handle anything'.    It's been a rough time and I am glad to be coming to the other side of it.  Ina has been amazing throughout, but is glad to have her husband returning to something like his old self.   As someone who generally has good health it has been an eye opener too in all sorts of ways.   

The abiding lesson I have taken away from all this ( apart from the obvious!) is how much I love what I do.   I missed a very rich two weeks of over 20 personal appointments, three services and a conference I was taking part in as well as other work related meetings and two outreach events.  As one of my pals said to me it is a good reminder that none of us are indispensable...and that is absolutely true.  However, I felt a sense of personal loss, especially from the conversations with a wide variety  of people in a range of different places.  I was really looking forward to these, some with people I had not visited before and did not know well, others with long standing friends, others with folk I am getting to know better. 

I'd also like to think that the folk I had to cancel on had been looking forward to seeing me too ( at least to some extent!).  This has got me thinking of the importance of connections and relationships and how precious a growing and deepening friendship with someone is.   That sense of anticipation of your time together, the making time in each other's diary which is a mark of respect to one another, the willingness to be honest in the conversation, to really show up for the other person, the gift of undivided attention we offer one another ( including putting the phones away!) and so on. 

I've also learned though even if these two weeks had gone to plan and had been as great as I was hoping they would be that that in itself is not the full story.  Being laid aside like this has brought home to me that bigger story we are all part of.  The hours I have spent with God and some deep reading and quiet thinking and praying have been rich in themselves and helped me notice and pay attention to things I probably would have missed in the flow of the week I had planned.  

As rich and precious as our human friendships are, our friendship with God is richer and more precious by far.  As important as activity and action are, unless they come from a place of 'abiding in the vine'  then they can be little more than 'Paul in his happy place, in his zone'.    I am deeply thankful for the role I have with the church here on the western edge of Scotland, for great colleagues and committed and faithful church members and can't wait to get back into it again.   A little chastened and hopeful more careful (!), but deeply deeply grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship and the Unspectacular

  I’m just back from a day with my pal Richard on, in his terms, a ‘cheeky wee Corbett’ (a Corbett is   a hill between 2,500-2,999feet) near Crianlarich.   Beinn nan Imirean can’t actually be seen from the road and is surrounded by much higher peaks both close by but also on the wider horizon, as we were to discover.     It was a bit of a slog as the ground was rough and paths were few and sketchy but as we climbed slowly out of the frosty and frozen Glen Dochart with it’s -6 degrees C temperature and low lying cloud this was more than compensated for by the wonderful views that opened up in the clear winter sunshine.   Finally from the top we had a good panoramic view over many miles and could indulge in one of our favourite mountain top past times…identifying all the hills we could see, Richard’s knowledge   being much more extensive than mine, since he has climbed far more of them. As 2026 opens up I want to share a few take aways from this...

The hopes of children and invention of new colours

  On a dark cold winter night as I left the Leisure Centre just before closing time I noticed them ...suspended in the foyer, the stars that primary school children had made expressing their Christmas wishes and hopes for 2026.    A surprising number asked for peace in the world and to see more of their family.   And then there was this one which included the following:   I hope Oban gets a Macdonalds I hope that more colours are invented I hope the everyone has a merry Christmas I hope that the women in Sudan are okay. What wonderful young human beings,  able to express the joy and hopes of childhood whilst being aware that all is not well with our world.  It's been a crazy roller coaster ride in the month since these stars were put up and it is easy to despair for humanity and our future.  We are reminded though by George Herbert; And for all this, nature is never spent;      There lives the dearest freshness d...

Unconsidered Momentum

  There are some phrases which just stick in your mind after you first hear them and ‘unconsidered momentum’ was one of those for me.   I was with a small group of folk who all had a lot of experience in trying to initiate and encourage change and growth in churches in Scotland and we were there to journey together for two days and learn from one another. It is an interesting phrase, as it implies there is movement, there is even forward movement, but it is not the kind of movement that is necessarily a healthy one.     It represents continuing on a path out of habit, rather than intentional choice, or evaluating whether it is still necessary or beneficial.   Particularly it doesn’t take into account whether goals have changed, or the context has changed which gave rise to the practice in the first place. Covid was an interesting time as suddenly we were forced to stop a lot of things in our personal and communal lives which we did out of habit. ...