Skip to main content

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

 



It’s 9pm on the 31st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.   There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.  Or perhaps October 7th was that and it just came early.  Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.   Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,  hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.  A deep  breath.

And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life.

I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing,
put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you,
or laid aside for you,
exalted for you,
or brought low for you;
let me be full,
let me be empty,
let me have all things,
let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours. So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.

Such a prayer can do very little about the circumstances of Gaza, Israel, Ukraine, Taiwan, economic growth, migrants, elections, culture wars, poverty, loneliness and so on and on.   What it does offer as we go into the stormy seas of 2024 is an engine in the ship that is my life, the one piece of this world that I can actually do something about.  A ship can survive almost any storm so long as its’ engine is functioning and it can head into the waves, maintaining a small measure of control of direction and response and, God willing, a water tight bulkhead that allows me to stay afloat.   This prayer of surrender to the purposes of God, sets aside my agenda and plans and puts myself at the disposal of God’s tender mercies.   Which hopefully will make a difference also in the community we live in.

I heard an interview this morning with a Jewish man and a Palestinian man who had founded ‘Combatants for Peace’.   From their experience of warfare they know that violence cannot bring solutions.  They acknowledge that they are on the sidelines of their communities right now.   However they  have given themselves over to the bigger truth that ultimately being on the right side of history means holding the ship of hope steady and keeping our moral compass fixed on the eternal stars that cannot be seen through the raging storm.  On God’s tender mercies.

Such people give me hope.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship and the Unspectacular

  I’m just back from a day with my pal Richard on, in his terms, a ‘cheeky wee Corbett’ (a Corbett is   a hill between 2,500-2,999feet) near Crianlarich.   Beinn nan Imirean can’t actually be seen from the road and is surrounded by much higher peaks both close by but also on the wider horizon, as we were to discover.     It was a bit of a slog as the ground was rough and paths were few and sketchy but as we climbed slowly out of the frosty and frozen Glen Dochart with it’s -6 degrees C temperature and low lying cloud this was more than compensated for by the wonderful views that opened up in the clear winter sunshine.   Finally from the top we had a good panoramic view over many miles and could indulge in one of our favourite mountain top past times…identifying all the hills we could see, Richard’s knowledge   being much more extensive than mine, since he has climbed far more of them. As 2026 opens up I want to share a few take aways from this...

The hopes of children and invention of new colours

  On a dark cold winter night as I left the Leisure Centre just before closing time I noticed them ...suspended in the foyer, the stars that primary school children had made expressing their Christmas wishes and hopes for 2026.    A surprising number asked for peace in the world and to see more of their family.   And then there was this one which included the following:   I hope Oban gets a Macdonalds I hope that more colours are invented I hope the everyone has a merry Christmas I hope that the women in Sudan are okay. What wonderful young human beings,  able to express the joy and hopes of childhood whilst being aware that all is not well with our world.  It's been a crazy roller coaster ride in the month since these stars were put up and it is easy to despair for humanity and our future.  We are reminded though by George Herbert; And for all this, nature is never spent;      There lives the dearest freshness d...

Unconsidered Momentum

  There are some phrases which just stick in your mind after you first hear them and ‘unconsidered momentum’ was one of those for me.   I was with a small group of folk who all had a lot of experience in trying to initiate and encourage change and growth in churches in Scotland and we were there to journey together for two days and learn from one another. It is an interesting phrase, as it implies there is movement, there is even forward movement, but it is not the kind of movement that is necessarily a healthy one.     It represents continuing on a path out of habit, rather than intentional choice, or evaluating whether it is still necessary or beneficial.   Particularly it doesn’t take into account whether goals have changed, or the context has changed which gave rise to the practice in the first place. Covid was an interesting time as suddenly we were forced to stop a lot of things in our personal and communal lives which we did out of habit. ...