Skip to main content

The swan, the dog and the heron

 


I was walking along the canal a few days ago in the light rain when suddenly beside me flew a swan, her white iridescent wings sweeping effortlessly (and silently) over the dark waters.  Into the damp and cold greyness of an early Scottish January swooped a creature of light.  Changeless as the seasons change around her, she was a harbinger of that deep down freshness of things that is ever old and ever new.

In a canine explosion next to me Bella set off alongside as fast as her Labrador legs, heart and lungs could carry her.  Two more languid sweeps of the majestic wings and the swan was already out of reach with Bella stubbornly carrying on until even she could see she was outmatched by the great bird.  We both looked at each other and agreed it had been a moment.

On the way home we passed the heron again remaining in the exact same place except this time he was taking his time swallowing a fish.   The question of how herons, in their eternal, preternatural stillness can actually catch fish in these dark waters remains a mystery to me, and yet here was the evidence that the waiting had not been fruitless.  

As I was ambling home I was thinking of the new year ahead and how the three creatures all offered their own contribution as to how it could be lived.

The serendipity of the swan's arrival ( you NEVER have your camera out in time) calls me to be open to moments of undeserved and unexpected grace and beauty. Traditionally swans symbolise purity and this encourages me that goodness and truth are not concepts to be fought over but never ending sources of life to be celebrated, regardless of what season we find ourselves in.   The effortless nature and graceful beating of her wings inspires me to find that flow, where what I am called to be and to do is indeed what I am truly being and doing.

Bella's enthusiasm and energy inspires me to give my everything, to do nothing half heartedly and to leave it all on the field.   To be able to respond immediately to life's surprises and to live utterly and even foolishly in that moment, knowing it may never come again.   To doggedly (is this where the words comes from?!) keep going when you're out matched, because life is too short not to.  After all we grow ever stronger by being constantly defeated by those things greater than ourselves.  And courage comes from the French for heart (couer) ... a heartfelt participation in life. 

The heron's timeless patience, echoing from our prehistory, is a call to ride out the restlessness, the constant fidgeting and endless distractions that thin out our ability to simply be where we actually are.   So many of us 'live slightly apart from our body', are not fully present to our own selves or the moment we are in and miss more than we ever know.   Paying attention, close attention to the situatedness of the life we are actually in rather than the one we wish we had opens us up to seeing signs of life where we may never have looked before.  And through waiting, sometimes in the long hours of darkness, discover that joy does indeed come in the morning.

Thank you our feathered and furry friends.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid