Skip to main content

A season of subtle colours



 Early winter in Scotland is a season with few bright and spectacular colours.  Shades of grey frame the ubiquitous brown bracken under which the land sleeps.  Early snows haven't yet developed the vivid sparkle that comes with greater depth and cold mornings and the lochs reflect the white and the greys in stillness or movement.  Patches of green are also to be found along the path,  and of course on the conifers scattered around and the black of the bark wet after the rain.  Leached yellow grasses(that display no recollection of sunlight)  on the upper slopes, awaiting the new life of spring.  Greys, browns, faded greens and yellows and the scattered whites of early snow provide a pallet befitting this season of  rest and loss.   

Living with the seasons of our life and owning whichever season we are in can be tricky.  If you are a sunny and relentlessly positive like me it can be difficult to admit it is winter.  Not far from where this photograph was taken yesterday I said to Ina, "I am very good at living in denial and being positive" ...after 33 years together I wasn't telling her anything she didn't already know - she just burst out laughing and gave me a squeeze.

Yet winter has its' own beauty and as we stand at the start of what looks like another crazy year I was heartened by these great lines from Tish Harrison Warren.  Beauty and wonder are not only comforting.  They are also a high density dose of reality.  The tenacity of glory and goodness, even in this shadowed world of tears, trains my eye to pay attention, to stay alert not only to the darkness of our story but to the light as well.  Beauty comforts us in her wordless embrace and there is no place she doesn't go.   There is no space on earth or sadness too deep that a verdant sprig of glory doesn't somehow crack through the sidewalk.  In the times when we think anguish and dimness are all there is in the world, beauty is a reminder that there is more to our stories than sin, pain and death.

So may we all adjust our senses to be able to see the subtle beauty of winter both physically and metaphorically, to realise that loss is an inescapable part of our lives and that winter is the season for the distilling of our essence to what is truly meaningful to us.   As we grieve and let go of many things hoped for may we discover in the solace of winter's embrace that our hopes are honoured and reshaped into something entirely different and unexpected.   For us to receive such gifts however we may need  to become different people, not in anyway by trying, but by simply giving ourselves over to the seasonality of our lives and allowing the turning world to bring us towards the sun once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid