Skip to main content

Love begins when convenience ends

 

 

‘What is the most loving thing to do right now?’   This was the question I left my church with last Sunday.  We were exploring 1 Corinthians 13, Paul’s famous chapter on love, in which there are 15 verbs about love…that love is something we do, not just something we feel.  Often that space for action, to do, is very small, as we find ourselves reacting to things that happen to us.   It is into this small space that I suggested we could try to wedge this question, what is the most living thing to do right now? 

It was Victor Frankl the Viennese Psychotherapist and Auschwitz survivor who famously said “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”   Frankl believed that the choice to love, painful or as difficult as that maybe, is what leads to growth and freedom.  And as I heard someone say just this morning, love begins when convenience ends.   We usually know we love someone or are acting in a loving way when it costs us something. 

The beautiful story below was written by someone reflecting on the possibilities or otherwise of faith.  As they said I have to admit that throughout my adult life, religion has been to me what a bone is to a dog. I gnaw it, bury it, dig it up and gnaw it again. I found their honesty and integrity very moving and challenging as many serious questions were raised.

I was in a church in Tuscany and I saw a mother advancing on the altar hand in hand with a horribly deformed boy of around 12 years. He was wearing a jacket made of exquisite leather. The discrepancy between the ugliness of the body and the beauty of the jacket gave me an instant insight into that mother’s unconditional love. And her face – beatific would be the only word to describe it – told me that her love was founded-on and nourished-by her faith.

I think of this woman and I think of all the codes of practice and caring manuals which have been produced by well-meaning individuals and committees and I ask myself, do they provide an under-pinning as strong as that mother’s faith?   In all humility I cannot truthfully answer this question.



It is in our choosing, sometimes again and again, day in and day out, to act and live in a loving manner that I believe we display the image of God in us and also offer our world a better way, one act, one verb at a time.   Love begins when convenience ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid