Skip to main content

Leaping into a happiness not yet realised

 


When I go to the hills, along with my rucksack full of the usual, I often take with me something I'm mulling over...the hills are a good place to mull. It could be a decision,  a project, a passage from the bible, a new idea I'd just come across, or as in the case today something I'd been reading recently that had rocked me back on my heels.  A FB pal Graham (we are yet to actually meet!) had kindly sent me a wonderful book for Christmas: Backpacking with the Saints .

I had just been challenged yesterday to  give myself to Joy in the full awareness of all the unrealised joys in my life.  To embrace felicity (bliss) despite a world of endlessly unmet needs.  The author is referencing Thomas Traherne an Anglican priest, mystic and poet from the 1600's who had a very intense spirituality and an amazing way with words.  He believed that God himself recklessly participated in unfulfilled desires and that in the Cross He assumes the pain of all our thwarted hopes and unfulfilled longings into his own love.   We are called then to leap with God into a happiness not yet realised but firmly rooted in Gods’ relentless passion of love.

It's heady stuff indeed and you can see why I needed a bit of space  and clear mountain air to mull it all over! At the risk of over simplification there is a profound truth in what Traherne is saying and he is in good company in drawing our attention to this.    Down through the centuries many great saints have discovered that in desiring God to want is to have, that wanting is everything in the spiritual life, more important than having.   Such a kind of catch and release spirituality is essential to celebrating our world which is full of wonders we will never be able to own...but we can enjoy them...to the full!  The actual experience of wanting itself is a gift that opens us up to what God may be wanting to give us.

So often we focus on our unrealised joys, our thwarted yearnings, our unmet needs and expect little from life or from God.  This can bring our horizon in so close that there is hardly any sunlight in our lives anymore.   We come to live with a winter sun that just breaks the skyline for a few hours and have forgotten the expansive long days of summer, the promises of God.

To choose to leap into a happiness not yet realised, or to choose joy when so much remains unmet is not some Pollyanna way of looking at the world.  It is choosing to believe that in the cross God himself meets us in all the provisional and fraught nature of our lives and to make that our starting point.  We do this by allowing ourselves to desire him, and not closing our hearts off in case we are disappointed.  For it is in such desire that we are most fully alive and closest to God.  As that other great mystical saint, Bernard of Clairvaux, said: The one who seeks for God has already found Him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid