Skip to main content

Ascension

 



Yesterday was Ascension Day when we remember the physical departure of Jesus from this earth.  In the words of the Nicene Creed: On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.  He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.   A couple of sentences before this we are told that by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate of the Virgin Mary and was made man.


In church we say words like this Sunday after Sunday but can sometimes miss their import  -sometimes great truths can be hidden in plain sight.   One of the Christians claims about the Ascension is that now there is humanity in the heart of the Trinity.  The Jesus that was made man is the same Jesus that returns to heaven and God will never be the same again because of this.  I do believe God can change in some ways, not in his character but in his experience which now includes being human.   He now knows what it is like to be us.  As we read the gospel stories we can connect with Jesus’s humanity, but we can forget that this same humanity is now in heaven.  Indeed the Creed gives almost as much word space to Jesus in heaven as it does to his time on earth! 


Along with preaching at our Ascension Day service yesterday I also had four significant and long pastoral conversations, an international zoom prayer meeting for India and my old school there and facilitated a zoom conversation about secularism and faith in the UK.  In one way or another all these illustrated the importance and relevance of the Ascension.    Some were exploring where God could be present in their challenging situations and whether he would answer prayers said or unsaid.  Others were asking the same thing about our public and global life, where is God there and how can his purposes work themselves out.


The Ascension comforts us with knowledge that God connects to our pain and confusion and feeling of lostness.  This may not  change circumstances, but as my last late phone call of  the day explored, perhaps our praying is to help bring us in line with the way things are going and to prepare us for the hard inevitable.  And we are assured that we will have what we need to get through that.  The man Jesus is seated at the Father’s right hand, interceding for us.


Finally the Ascension reassures us that God’s purposes will be fulfilled and that Jesus’s kingdom will have no end.  Being seated in the symbolism of ancient world meant being in a position of great power, and this power is now held by the Incarnate Jesus who knows what it is like to be us and who will make sure that in the end all will be well and all manner of things will be well.


So, let’s not rush too quickly to Pentecost in 10 days time, but use this period to really address the ascended Christ and allow these great truths to find their way home in your heart and bring comfort and reassurance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid