Skip to main content

Tunnels with bends

 


I was talking with someone just yesterday who said they are struggling to see any light at the end of the particular tunnel they and their family are facing.  And it is true, right now it is difficult to see any positive outcomes for them.  Sometimes we just need to say it out loud, be honest and call it what it is.

This Lent the St James community are following the theme of 'Sorrow, Solidarity and Hope' and this will come up now and again in these reflective pieces.   A tunnel without light in it is a way of describing an experience of sorrow and loss but can also refer sometimes to the way life is changed by such experiences.  I am sure for some people their life during the pandemic has been like this.   I saw some research this week that suggests the 100,000 deaths in the UK means 891,000 people will have lost a near relative.

When I was in school we once went for a hike along a railway line ( this was in India in the early 1980's!)  and had to walk through a couple of tunnels.  They were cold and damp places which if I had been on my own would have been quite fearful places to be.   I was with my friends though and that made all the difference and it became another teenage adventure.   Obviously the tunnels of later years are much more sinister affairs, but there is no doubt that having companions with us can make a difference.  

Solidarity is shown in many ways as we all know, but I just want to take one small example.   Our Ash Wednesday service was online and as Harriet crossed and blessed each of us by name from the setting of our beautiful chapel I looked around at all the faces on the screen and sensed the solidarity of journeying together during this strange time.   We don't have to journey into our tunnel alone, whether it is our experience of the pandemic or our own private situation.

However, tunnels also have bends.   Some of the tunnels in the Alps wind back on themselves in loop after loop.  Light is there at the end of the tunnel but we can't see it at the beginning, or even half way through, but it is there.   This pandemic time has been a bit like that when we have felt sometimes that the tunnel has looped back on itself.   There have also been times in my life and perhaps yours too when the light has taken a long time to appear.  Maybe when we talk about lights and tunnels we need to be a bit less binary.  Rather than asking can we see light or not at the end of the tunnel, we could ask what kind of a tunnel am I in, does it have bends and who is in it with me?    

There will always be light at the end of tunnels.  Living in the light under an open sky is what we spend most of our lives doing, tunnels may be long but they are temporary and never, never final.

There will be no more dark.  They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun for the Lord God will give them light.  Revelation 22:5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid