Skip to main content

Yad Vashem and 100,00

 


"The soul of man is a candle unto God".  These are the words which are over the door into the memorial for children who died in the Holocaust, part of Yad Vashem near Jerusalem.   As you enter the darkened space their names are heard being read out while you walk along a narrow corridor.  You turn a corner and enter a large space, cave like in its echoing shadows and your breath is taken from you.   In the centre is a column of candles around which are a number of mirrors which reflect the candlelight in all directions.  It’s like stumbling into a galaxy of flickering, living flames.  Indeed the soul of man is a candle unto God.   

The emotional impact of the Yad Vashem Children's Memorial is one way of helping us register in a visceral way the appalling reality of what lies behind the numbers and statistics which our minds can only handle in a very muted and almost abstract way.  This week not only have we marked Holocaust Memorial Day but also in the UK we have passed the grim milestone of 100,000 precious lives lost to Covid-19.  We have become so used to daily updates of numbers that I fear we become immure to what such figures truly represent.   

A flickering candle is alive, warm and in constant motion yet fragile and exposed too.  I've been at a number of deathbeds and I know how it is when the final breath leaves and the candle quietly turns dark.  The person is there but we know they have gone.  All that is special and wonderful, life giving and heart warming about each of us comes out of that inner place where the candle of our soul burns. That soul light is made physical and tangible in our friendships and loves, our deeds of kindness and care, the solid day to day ordinary sacrifices and service that we each contribute to our magically diverse human race.

At the core of our Christian faith is the belief that we are made in the image of God and that God loves each human being with an infinite love.   Personally I find these two beliefs the only light that is left sometimes in very dark times, when all evidence is to the contrary.    Yad Vashem and our recent 100,000 deaths to Covid-19 are such times.     Where does this leave us?  Victor Frankl and others who have been through the unspeakable speak with the authority of the camps. When a young boy was hung for stealing bread a heart rending cry was heard ‘where is God?'  A quiet response came from an old Rabbi ‘God is there on the gallows’.

I honestly don’t know where all this will end, but as Christians one of our distinctive offerings is that in some manner God is suffering with us, that he is in solidarity with his broken pandemic world.  We can cry in our pain and confusion with Jesus on the cross as he quoted Psalm 22… ‘My God, my God why have you forsaken me?’. And we can also draw strength from post Easter people who testify to God’s presence in extreme circumstances again and again through the centuries and across our world today: “God has saidI will never leave you or forsake you’: so we say with confidence ‘The Lord is my helper’”.  (Hebrews 13:5,6)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid