Skip to main content

Stronaclachar

 



Today Ina and I are heading out yet again to the Trossachs, drawn once more by the autumn colours and this time a walk amongst the birches of Loch Lomond.  Each weekend comes round and I can usually adjust my day off to the Friday or the Saturday depending on the weather so that we can make the most of the shortening days.     Beauty catches our breath again and again as we come round a bend and walk into a cascade of colour, or catch a panoramic view of ridges unfolding, or notice a glade of ferns -a home for the fair folk.  Time and again we find ourselves loitering, noticing, revelling in the gift of this unique moment of cloud, light, shade, heather, bracken and slow turning of the season.   You really can’t move until the show is over.  

I’m reading Henry Thoreau’s ‘Walden’ which as some of you will know is the reflections of a young man in the late 19th Century who lives in a homemade cabin for two years by Walden pond in Massachusetts .  His precise attention to detail through the seasons and his immersion in his natural setting is a delight and an inspiration.   Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.  It also gave him enough critical distance to look at the life of his peers and the town of Concord with a clear yet sympathetic eye.  He returned a humbler and simpler man who spent the rest of his life in the town and its’ environs of which he would write at the end of his life, that “I have travelled a great deal in Concord”.  His immersion in nature had sent him home with a deep appreciation of the details of life and the richness that can be found in the most ordinary details if we can but pay attention.     After watching nature patiently revealing her secrets young Henry had developed new eyes to see his fellow citizens.

So today as you are reading this or listening Ina and I will be on our way for our weekly nature communion, perhaps to be surprised by the unexpected and possibly to encounter beauty.   Also to grow new ways of seeing so we are able to notice those around us in fresh and kinder ways, sensitive to the rhythms of life and the ebb and flow of our emotional seasons.  Towards the end of the day we will stop off at Stronaclachar and spend time in the wonderful café on the pier with its glass wall and view down Loch Katrine.   As the gloaming gathers on that most fair of Lochs, and as the light rain falls (no doubt!) there comes a re-framing of our troubles and concerns, a gathering up of them into a larger and deeper story.   Almost as if  we are hearing the bass notes of nature which beat on steadily below the treble of our tumultuous life and offering a solider, more substantial place to ground ourselves.   We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.

Such grounding does not mean going to ground.  Rather it is an exercise in trust that to love is to go with the flow of the universe which is always expanding, always making connections, always moving towards greater unity (to riff Rob Bell here).  This autumn, allow nature, even through watching some of the wonderful nature documentaries or listening to Outdoors, to teach you to see and notice differently, to reframe your troubles a little so that you can hang the treble of your life on the deeper bass notes that run below, right from the heart of God.    And then this autumn become one of those folk who reaches out, who makes the phone call, who shows mercy and random acts of kindness.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid