Skip to main content

Hot tubs with flashing lights

 

I was out walking the dog yesterday when I met one of the young mums from our messy church who I hadn’t seen for quite a while.  She’s working from home and will be for quite some time to come and, being an outgoing kind of person, misses the office chat and relational side of things.  Having a dog gets her out of the house, but otherwise she would be home 12/13 hours a day. Her husband has not been able to see his parents in the south of England as they have been shielding and with his sister in America he feels the distance.  Their lovely wee lass has settled back into school again but didn’t find it easy at the start as she had been away for so long.   Just a glimpse of a fairly normal family dealing with the fallout of Covid and trying to keep the show on the road.

As I was turning away she said, ‘oh by the way we have started our own business’.  Now, being deaf, I thought I’d misheard her, but sure enough so they have.   They hire out an inflatable hot tub and apparently are fully booked for the coming few weekends.  In the telling of the story she was particularly excited about flashing lights that are part of the whole deal.  I said I’d pop by some time and get more details as my head is buzzing with questions, how do you inflate it, how do you get the water in and how does it get hot and most of all about the flashing lights???.

Suddenly though the coming months didn’t seem quite so gloomy as I envisaged all these suburban families discovering inflatable hot tubs and flashing lights reaching into the night sky above Bishopbriggs.   As she said to me, ‘with us all having to have staycations we need to make the most of it’.   Don’t you just love that, people using their own ingenuity and verve to make the most of where we find ourselves and look for ways not just to survive but to thrive too.  Bubbly hot water lit up from below and under the stars on a cold night…well, what’s not to like!

At the start of lockdown in late spring there was quite an outpouring of creativity and I wonder whether as we get into a different kind of autumn than we are used to whether we need to find some of that creative spirit again.   Thankfully our movements are not so restricted and apparently Brits have been stocking up on patio heaters and fire pits.  We can learn a lot from the folk in the north of Norway who are used to long winters, who enjoy the opportunities that winter brings, and love the seasonal changes and cosiness.   Research shows that the more they saw winter as an exciting opportunity to enjoy a cooler climate the better they fared, with high levels of life satisfaction and overall mental health.  They also found amazingly enough that these attitudes increase with latitude, in other words the more positive wintertime mind set is most common where it is most needed. (Observer 27th September)

As Christians we believe that the Holy Spirit is God’s creative presence on earth sustaining and energising us.   My prayer is that this next few months we will open ourselves to such a wonderful presence and not only survive but thrive, having the way shown to us by a young family who love inflatable hot tubs with flashing lights and want to share the love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid