Skip to main content

Being chased by chairs






The tranquility of the shopping street was shattered one sunny morning by the yelping of a dog and a strange metallic clattering.   Suddenly a crazed greyhound came scrabbling around the corner, weaving between shoppers hotly pursued by a cheap chrome bistro chair.   The chair which was attached by the other end of the dog’s lead, seemed alive like a dancing snake weaving and flailing, striking and biting at that terrified animal’s rear.   A movement must have made that chair twitch, which made the dog jump, which had made the chair leap, which had made the dog run pursued by a terrifying piece of metal.  The faster the dog ran the wilder the chair’s pursuit.  (Peter Greig, How to Pray, p36).

This funny story illustrates Pete’s point that we can live our lives sometimes like the demented greyhound, driven and disoriented by irrational fears, pursued by packs of bloodthirsty bistro chairs, too scared to simply stop.    With so much changing and happening in our lives and context at the moment it is easy to feel uncertain and apprehensive and even a little afraid at times.   I certainly wouldn’t call it irrational to be careful of Covid  and perhaps even more so to be afraid of the economic climate and changes to people’s livelihood. 

But this is my point.  These genuine concerns help us to stop and look at some of the more irrational fears and drivers that previously may have had not dissimilar a role to the chairs the dog thought was chasing him.  Covid has removed some of these “chairs” by the simple fact that so many things stopped. Much of the frantic movement and inner turmoil that marked aspects of western society eased.   Our newspapers are not so full of frivolous news and there does seem a sense of a more measured take on things.  When there is a pandemic around and such economic uncertainty it does throw a certain sobering daylight on some of our previous ‘fears’ and ‘drivers’.

The bible also talks about such a recalibrating of our lives.   God speaks firmly into the cacophony of human activity, in the words of Psalm 23 He makes me lie down.  Into the ‘unexamined momentum’ (I wish I’d thought of Steve Aisworth’s wonderful phrase!) of our lives his voice is waiting for us to slow down and listen.     Maybe we can take time to examine the momentum of our lives and what are the things that pull and push them along. Some of it is fine and healthy, other aspects not so much.  What are the voices or memories from years ago, that have long outlived their authority or right to speak into your life?  What are the dispositions and habits that have their roots in our learning to survive and navigate this wonderful but scary world but which are now preventing us from thriving and growing?

Most of all though God wants us to stop and face our “chairs” and know that we are loved and created by him to be in a relationship with him.  This gives us a purpose and security and sense of direction which provides the freedom to be free of fears and drivers.   Such stopping and listening can change our lives in the most profound ways over time and liberate us into that ‘perfect love which casts out all fear.” (Apostle John.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid