Skip to main content

FOMO is over

 

FOMO is over



During the lockdown, for many people, life was a lot quieter and less busy. One of the upsides of this was that the Fear Of Missing Out was suddenly over!   There was nothing happening to miss out on!   FOMO had become quite a thing, particularly among younger people, and at times turned into a genuine fear that missing out on something would be just the worst possible thing.   It’s easy to laugh at it now and wonder what all the fuss was about but many teenagers and young adults especially were glued to their phones just in case they missed something that might leave them feeling left out.

As life returns to some sort of a new normal it would seem that FOMO does not quite have the same power it used to as there is so much still not happening. Probably in the small dramas of high school life there is plenty however.   I remember one of my daughters reflecting back on high school saying…’Dad, I’m so done with all the drama!’  However, whether it is different areas of the country having different rules, different churches opening up again or not, sports and hobbies opening up in varied ways, it is possible for us to feel as we move at different speeds coming out of lockdown that we may be Missing Out.  

Ina’s elderly aunt in German said to her recently that she doesn’t want to miss out on things when she has a relatively short time to live anyway…she wants to make the most of her life while she can.   I’d never thought of that before as being an issue for very elderly people, but it makes perfect sense.   What then might the bible means when it says ‘Godliness with contentment is great gain’ and later ‘I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances’.  Contentment may not be one of the more ‘rock star’ virtues such as faith hope and love but I wonder whether for our time it is the most relevant.  

With the return of localised restrictions such as in the Glasgow area and people’s circumstances varying it can be easy to be frustrated or even envious of others who seem to have greater freedom or opportunity… FOMO may make a comeback if we are not careful.   Contentment however is the great antidote to FOMO.  It serves to stabilise  and help us value what we do have, to keep our eye on the eternal promises of God which never change, on the deep rhythms of life and the small courtesies which help us live life well whatever our circumstances.

Most importantly contentment acknowledges that everyone is different, that comparing ourselves to others or harking after the greener grass on the other side, or even just wanting Covid to be over and to find ourselves in summer 2021 will only be a recipe for discontent.   Whether you compare yourself to another person, another church, another part of the country or to a future point of being free of Covid, it takes you away from being fully present and valuing the here and now.  The here and now is the only place where you can meet with God as it is the only place where you actually are!

Don’t succumb to FOMO, by worrying about what you may be missing out you miss what you actually have.

Comments

  1. I think many older folk relate to Ina's relative. For me it's not about missing out on experiences, or 'stuff' (though I recognise I may never be able to travel again). It's about knowing that I have limited time in reasonable health in this world, that I can still contribute, and I don't want to waste any of it! It was hard to lose all my volunteer roles, preaching, etc, but then God gave me some really struggling people to support, who needed lots of time. He's also teaching me to value the slower pace and the opportunities that brings. If this is the year (or whatever it turns out to be) of 'wasted time' , that's ok, it's the year that the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Fran James commenting above!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid