Skip to main content

Looking with our ears on Zoom





One of the ‘younger’ members of St James recently commented that he was amazed at how many of the older members had embraced the online world during this lockdown period and particularly Zoom.  Of course he immediately caught himself, and said “that sounds really ageist!”   I’m even getting my own mum who is almost 84 onto Zoom, which brings back memories of trying to teach my daughter to drive!   It is remarkable how a technology many of us had never heard of has become such an important part of our lives.  It has a greater richness of connection than a phone call as we are able to see each other (and yes, how our hair is progressing – or regressing).


One of the things I have enjoyed about lockdown has been taking part in group conversations with other ministers or family members or discussion groups.   People who would normally find it difficult to all get in the same room can now meet from different parts of the country.   For an extravert like me its’ been one of the highlights of this season and I come away from the times together stimulated and encouraged…sometimes we even pray for one another.   


Very rarely though do we actually look at someone in the eye as we would in a normal conversation.  Our cameras are all in different places on our computers, laptops and Tablets, and often by looking at the screen straight on we actually come across to everyone else as if we are looking over their shoulder. 
  

One person maybe sitting back in their chair looking up at the ceiling as they listen, another person is talking but sometimes with their eyes closed or looking down at the desk or over your shoulder, another person may even be up from their desk making a cup of tea but they can still hear what is going on.  Everyone is in their own space, sitting in a way that is comfortable for them.   The rules of social interaction have changed, eye contact does not have the same importance it used to have, particularly as a sign that you are paying attention!   


We demand very little of one another, but simply to be present on the screen and to be courteous to whoever else is speaking and wait our turn.  There is an endearing informality as we look into each other’s homes, see what they have on their walls and watch their cats or children crawl across the keyboard.   Through it all though it has become our voices that act as the constant, regardless of where our eyes are. It is a person’s voice addressing you that shares something with you, even if they are leaning back on their chair looking out the window.  It is the silent space that your words speak into that tells you people are paying attention (mostly), even if very few are actually looking straight at you. 


This extends also to common acts of worship: prayers, bible readings, guided meditations and images on a screen.   All of these are shared but each one of us remains in our own place, looking often at the bible or prayer book in front of us, yet sensitive to the presence of everyone else.  The photo I have attached captures something of this intimate shared moment during evening prayer yesterday (I have asked all their permission!) looking with our ears for God’s presence among us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid