Skip to main content

It's so safe here

It's so safe here.



To love means setting your hearts on building relationships with people, and then to find a way to live into it.  God doesn't give us a blueprint.  He tells us to be humble and connect with people who might not have been our first choice.  Put on kindness and humility and let love lead the way. Your expression of love will look a little different from mine.  That's not a bad thing. It's a great thing
Bob Goff

There's something wonderfully practical and real about this approach to a life of love.  At its core is an appreciation of other people.  That may seem rather obvious, which I suppose it is.   A lot of great truths though are a bit like Dr. Who's Tardis...once you get inside it, well,  all sorts of things open up.   Kindness and humility would seem to be the keys to opening up the rich wonders of connections with other people. Those who are already in our lives (by our own choice or not!) and those who may be yet to enter our lives.   We learn by, as Bob says, "finding a way to live into it."

I've just come off the phone to a dear friend who is in a hospice now.  Her husband gave her the phone when I called and through the tears and breathlessness we had a short conversation before I prayed with her.   She is someone who, over her long life, really lived this life of love.   She had a lovely humble and kind personality and even her voice had a softness and gentleness to it.  It didn't surprise me that she had worked as a pastoral worker among old people for many years and even in her retirement volunteered to support an outreach work.  Such a character does not come quickly but grows over time, through difficulties and the constant deciding to opt for kindness and the humble road again and again.

As we looked back on our friendship I said something of all this to her and that at the end of the day it is the people and the relationships that really count in life.  Investing in others and finding our unique way to express and receive love is never a waste.   And as we talked about the joy that lay ahead for her I said you are like a high altitude climber, high up on a ridge leading the way for those of us left behind. And then she replied,  Oh Paul that is so true, and I am so safe here. 

 Isn't that wonderful?   With all the slopes of life falling away around her, as the ridge gets narrower and narrower and the air thinner and thinner she felt safe, so safe.   Someone who had lived out her faith in service and love for others in the hour of her own death felt held in the love of God.   Or to use the wonderful maternal words from Zephaniah 3:17 ‘(S)he will quiet you with her love. 

I believe this lockdown period can bear fruit for many years to come… love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5.   None of these come quickly, but if we value others and live out that valuing we too may find ourselves one day on the high ridges and know that we have been safe all the way through our lives.  Allow God to quiet you with her love as we all move into an unknown tomorrow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid