Skip to main content
St. Barnabas and Samwise Gamgee

We all know the value of friends who encourage us when times are hard or when we are feeling down.   They can help us laugh again, find a little more strength to keep going, see a healthier perspective, spot where God is in the situation, and most of all help us to find hope.    We all need at least one or two folk like that in our lives, and especially in this season of prolonged waiting and uncertainty.   Perhaps we can be that person sometime for others too.

There are two great examples of this. One was even nicknamed ‘Son of Encouragement’ by his pals.   "Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”), 37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet" (Acts 4:36.)   Yesterday was the feast day of St Barnabas, this remarkable man who was of the Jewish priestly caste, but who was so won over by Jesus that he gave over the rest of his life to following him.   

He was Paul’s companion on many of his travels and went through much of the same suffering, yet he stays in the background, encouraging his more charismatic and volatile friend to keep going.   I am pretty sure without Barnabas there may not have been a Paul as we know him.  Barnabas was the one who brought him into the Christian community who were still unconvinced that this former persecutor had truly changed.    I love this description of him in Acts 11:  ‘He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit  and faith.’   Nothing spectacular or flashy, but someone who was good to be around , who saw the best in people, whose faith radiated in a quiet and solid way.

This reminds me of my other example, Samwise Gamgee, Frodo’s companion in Lord of the Rings.  Again and again we see Sam in his solid and hopeful way encouraging Frodo to keep going, to not give up, even at the cost sometimes of being hurt by Frodo who was in too dark a place to see the light anymore.  There is portrayed here an intimacy and vulnerability that is not just about saying happy words, or giving off positive vibes, but being able to look into the darkness honestly and yet still be able to hope.   Here are a few lines from a speech by Sam:
Sam's Speech - Worth Fighting For

Frodo : I can't do this, Sam.
Sam : I know.
It's all wrong
By rights we shouldn't even be here.
But we are.
It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo.
The ones that really mattered.
Full of darkness and danger they were,
and sometimes you didn't want to know the end.
Because how could the end be happy.
How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad happened.
But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow.
Even darkness must pass.
A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Those were the stories that stayed with you.
That meant something.
Even if you were too small to understand why.
But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand.
I know now.
Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t.
Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo : What are we holding on to, Sam?
Sam : That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid