Skip to main content

Smelling the invisible rose.




It seems we are drawing towards a new stage in our national lesson in patience.   Collectively we have had to learn to wait for and forgo much of what used to be easily accessible and even part of our routines.   One of our regular events was a long walk or climb somewhere in the countryside within an hour or two from our home.  This year though spring has come and gone, the wild flowers and blooms of the higher hills, the spring lambs jumping in the fields, the wonderful mountain sunsets have all gone unobserved.   Invisible to us, limited to our cities and towns.  The recent news of relaxing the travel limits has set us planning apace where we are going to go and what we hope to see.


Of course, beauty in nature is just as beautiful whether we are there to notice it or not.  Perhaps nature has enjoyed her greater privacy this year, the quietness and calm settling over the landscape as the patient seasons run their course.   


Such patience runs deep in a well lived life and is one of the more precious qualities of love.   In our church grounds there is a small garden, carefully tended, where one of our church members used to come Sunday by Sunday just after 9.30am to spend a few moments in quietness. This is a memorial garden where the ashes of her husband are buried and over them she planted a rose which has grown tall and elegant.  She has not been since mid-March and the rose has been in bud, started to open, then in full blossom and only now starting to fade.  She has missed the whole season of the rose this year and I wonder if she thinks about it, imagining it blooming, invisible to her eye, imagining its’ scent….the invisible rose.   I walk past it though, most days going to church, and have taken time to drink deeply of its’ rich scent, to look closely at the complex unfolding of its’ velveteen petals.   The patience of the love that planted the rose and watched it slowly grow over the years continues to sustain my friend in this waiting time.


And for those beginning their journey of marriage there have been trials and uncertainties too. My niece is delighted that her planned wedding for August 1st can now go ahead with up to 30 guests.  Just last week I’d had a chat with her dad, at that point gloomy and uncertain if they could have even 10 people.   Our wonderful Curate Harriet can finally have her wedding in early July, postponed from late April.  


 Love, whether for a widow looking back on a rich married life of many decades, unable to visit her thin place each week, or young couples starting out, having to scale back and then scale back again their expectations, comes with its own rich joys and pains.  For both though patience brings its’ own subtle light and strength, and love becomes ever more deepened and multi-hued.

1 Corinthians 13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid