Skip to main content

Fields of Hope.


Fields of Hope

From ages 8-12 I lived in a small mining village in Fife and enjoyed exploring the fields and woods which surrounded us. One route to a friend’s house went by some turnip fields and it always amazed me that they could seem so empty for a long time and then gradually the crop would appear bit by bit, even though most of it was under the ground.   I have a memory of even stealing one with my pal…nothing like a freshly caught ‘tumchee’ (as they call them in Fife).   


What got me thinking along these lines was a conversation I had today with one of my fellow minsters at our weekly prayer time.   He was telling the story of last week seeing a 2ft. fish in the canal here in Bishopbriggs and then warning an angler that it was heading his way.   The angler replied that the canal is full of 2ft. fish now because there are no barges or other boats disturbing the water.  

Whether it is quiet fields that gradually return a harvest, or quiet canal waters that allow fish to reappear, our own quiet time of lockdown is I believe a season that will bring its own fruitfulness in the months to come.  We need to be patient and allow the season to do its work, but new things are coming and signs of hope are appearing.  
Even within our own church context there are plenty signs of this from more people attending our zoom services than our usual Sunday services, more people joining for daily prayer or small groups than ever before or even in putting up a new church sign.


I know this last may not seem much, but for 40 years our church building has been passed by numerous folk who had no idea it was a church.    Now the sign is up and it’s a statement of confidence in the future and the God who will restore the building to the many community groups that use it and the church members too. The quietness and stillness of the church building incubates within it many signs of new life in the living church of its members.


This also includes the launching of our new church website at the end of June hopefully.   As we build on the best of the past but really engage with the new digital reality, the hidden labour of writing and re writing for a new generation and a new external context will I believe also bear fruit in the months and years to come.


‘I am making everything new’ (Revelation 21:5) is a hope and dream for so many, and it may seem impossible at times.   The tragic events in the USA recently raise the question, can things truly be different this time, can things be new?   Those who long for a clean environment are hoping against hope that maybe this time things will be different and that with a green economy things will be new.   What are your hopes as you live through these weeks of our fallow, quiet time?  What new things may yet be born in your life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid