Skip to main content

Making do with Less

                                                                Making do with Less

                                                                             

We have found two great new walks from our house that our black Labrador, Kandy, loves.  We’ve only discovered them because we are no longer able to drive out to the many wonderful walks there are within a 10/15 minute drive.   Restricted freedom of movement has opened up new opportunities to notice what is on our doorstep.  As many of you know the Chinese word for Crisis includes the characters danger and opportunity.    Seems very relevant for today.

Yes there is a danger that having to make do with less freedom, less contact with others, less money, less conversation topics, less variety, less exercise etc will have a negative effect on many of us.  There is no doubt it is a real challenge especially for those with small children, or who have lost their income, or who are living alone or who have underlying health issues.  

Yet it is amazing what creativity and discoveries have been unleashed by people being forced to make do with less.   It was Vaclav Havel, the dissident poet turned first President of the free Czech Republic, who said after many years in prison, that great creativity often comes out of a place of great confinement. 

I’ve seen clips of parents acting as tour guides around the pictures in the house to their children, and innumerable home concerts and crazy games and disguises.   Our Curate has got involved in helping her pal home school her children by giving an online ‘class’.  I’ve had more conversations with our young neighbours (at a distance ) in the last 4 weeks than in the previous 1 year as they were hardly ever home.   I’ve also made more phone calls to old friends that my ‘lesser’ social calendar has given space for.

Or perhaps I should correct that.   I actually could have made time to phone old friends before, but with the fullness of life and the distraction of multiple options of what to do with my time, I never quite got round to doing it.   The relative stillness and ‘less-ness’ of our lives is creating margins we never had before and the chance to value somethings in a new way.   Henry Thoreau says in his book Walden I love a broad margin to my life.   Making do with less unclutters and paradoxically opens up new spaces and opportunities in unexpected places.  In having less we may end up with more for which we had little space or time for before.

 Different conversations with our spouses, different books than we would normally read, different music and radio programs, different walks nearby, different experiences of God, different encounters with technology (not easy for many of us, but opening up a new world too), different ways of being with friends, different interests and so on.   Please take a moment and think of the margins that may have opened up for you.  What could grow in this space?  How could making do with less be a gift to you?

And did you know that one of the original meanings of prayer was ‘to notice’?     Just saying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship and the Unspectacular

  I’m just back from a day with my pal Richard on, in his terms, a ‘cheeky wee Corbett’ (a Corbett is   a hill between 2,500-2,999feet) near Crianlarich.   Beinn nan Imirean can’t actually be seen from the road and is surrounded by much higher peaks both close by but also on the wider horizon, as we were to discover.     It was a bit of a slog as the ground was rough and paths were few and sketchy but as we climbed slowly out of the frosty and frozen Glen Dochart with it’s -6 degrees C temperature and low lying cloud this was more than compensated for by the wonderful views that opened up in the clear winter sunshine.   Finally from the top we had a good panoramic view over many miles and could indulge in one of our favourite mountain top past times…identifying all the hills we could see, Richard’s knowledge   being much more extensive than mine, since he has climbed far more of them. As 2026 opens up I want to share a few take aways from this...

The hopes of children and invention of new colours

  On a dark cold winter night as I left the Leisure Centre just before closing time I noticed them ...suspended in the foyer, the stars that primary school children had made expressing their Christmas wishes and hopes for 2026.    A surprising number asked for peace in the world and to see more of their family.   And then there was this one which included the following:   I hope Oban gets a Macdonalds I hope that more colours are invented I hope the everyone has a merry Christmas I hope that the women in Sudan are okay. What wonderful young human beings,  able to express the joy and hopes of childhood whilst being aware that all is not well with our world.  It's been a crazy roller coaster ride in the month since these stars were put up and it is easy to despair for humanity and our future.  We are reminded though by George Herbert; And for all this, nature is never spent;      There lives the dearest freshness d...

Unconsidered Momentum

  There are some phrases which just stick in your mind after you first hear them and ‘unconsidered momentum’ was one of those for me.   I was with a small group of folk who all had a lot of experience in trying to initiate and encourage change and growth in churches in Scotland and we were there to journey together for two days and learn from one another. It is an interesting phrase, as it implies there is movement, there is even forward movement, but it is not the kind of movement that is necessarily a healthy one.     It represents continuing on a path out of habit, rather than intentional choice, or evaluating whether it is still necessary or beneficial.   Particularly it doesn’t take into account whether goals have changed, or the context has changed which gave rise to the practice in the first place. Covid was an interesting time as suddenly we were forced to stop a lot of things in our personal and communal lives which we did out of habit. ...