Skip to main content

Learning to wait off the map.


Now that we have been through the initial days of this strange new life we find ourselves settling into a routine and this gives space to look around and ahead a bit further.  The question on many people's minds and often aired in the media is...how long??  How long till the first loosening of restrictions, the first step around the corner, the first glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, the first turn towards home?    

We don't mind the waiting but we'd love to know how long for!   The human spirit needs a reference of time so we can then adjust our emotions accordingly.  A 400 metre run, a 1500 metre race, a 10 Km race a Marathon, all require different pacing.  It's as if we have started running but we don't know how long the race will be.    We are trying to nurture and ration our hopes and fears, our  expectations and dreams, even our love and compassion and patience, but we don't know if we will have enough to see us through.   

The uncertainty of the length of the journey is matched also by the uncertainty of the perils we may face within it, medically, socially, relationally, economically, spiritually.   We are off the map now and the old cartographers beyond this point of the known world used to write here be dragons.   Will we be up to facing these unknown dangers, even the ones that we don't know that we don't know?  Rarely, if ever, have we collectively as a race and also collectively as countless individuals, with precious stories, faced such an uncertain future.   

We would love the map to go further, to see how far we have to go and what may lie in between us and safe harbour.   The bible (and certainly any government) cannot offer us that, but the bible does offer us a Guide into that unknown.  I find these rich words, with echoes of Psalm 23 from Thomas Merton, great explorer of the off map worlds of the inner world, both honest and in some measure comforting.    

My Lord God,
 I have no idea where I am going
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will,
does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you 
does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire 
in all I that I am doing.

And I know that if I do this
you will lead my by the right road
although I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always,
though I may seem to be lost
and in the shadow of death,

I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and will never leave
to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship and the Unspectacular

  I’m just back from a day with my pal Richard on, in his terms, a ‘cheeky wee Corbett’ (a Corbett is   a hill between 2,500-2,999feet) near Crianlarich.   Beinn nan Imirean can’t actually be seen from the road and is surrounded by much higher peaks both close by but also on the wider horizon, as we were to discover.     It was a bit of a slog as the ground was rough and paths were few and sketchy but as we climbed slowly out of the frosty and frozen Glen Dochart with it’s -6 degrees C temperature and low lying cloud this was more than compensated for by the wonderful views that opened up in the clear winter sunshine.   Finally from the top we had a good panoramic view over many miles and could indulge in one of our favourite mountain top past times…identifying all the hills we could see, Richard’s knowledge   being much more extensive than mine, since he has climbed far more of them. As 2026 opens up I want to share a few take aways from this...

The hopes of children and invention of new colours

  On a dark cold winter night as I left the Leisure Centre just before closing time I noticed them ...suspended in the foyer, the stars that primary school children had made expressing their Christmas wishes and hopes for 2026.    A surprising number asked for peace in the world and to see more of their family.   And then there was this one which included the following:   I hope Oban gets a Macdonalds I hope that more colours are invented I hope the everyone has a merry Christmas I hope that the women in Sudan are okay. What wonderful young human beings,  able to express the joy and hopes of childhood whilst being aware that all is not well with our world.  It's been a crazy roller coaster ride in the month since these stars were put up and it is easy to despair for humanity and our future.  We are reminded though by George Herbert; And for all this, nature is never spent;      There lives the dearest freshness d...

Unconsidered Momentum

  There are some phrases which just stick in your mind after you first hear them and ‘unconsidered momentum’ was one of those for me.   I was with a small group of folk who all had a lot of experience in trying to initiate and encourage change and growth in churches in Scotland and we were there to journey together for two days and learn from one another. It is an interesting phrase, as it implies there is movement, there is even forward movement, but it is not the kind of movement that is necessarily a healthy one.     It represents continuing on a path out of habit, rather than intentional choice, or evaluating whether it is still necessary or beneficial.   Particularly it doesn’t take into account whether goals have changed, or the context has changed which gave rise to the practice in the first place. Covid was an interesting time as suddenly we were forced to stop a lot of things in our personal and communal lives which we did out of habit. ...