Skip to main content

Dusting our lives.


She was standing on those steps, reaching up to pull out a book from the top shelf which she wiped and returned.  And the next one,…and the next one.   I had just come down from my desk, wanting to sit with a book of Mary Oliver’s poems in the bay window of the history room and there she was.  She returned later and rubbed the brass door knob and lock vigorously on both sides of the door.   A previous morning she had walked past me with a feather duster in hand, again cheerful and diligent. 

I spent yesterday evening with the old library to myself, the lamps casting their cones of warm light, bathing the honeyed wood of pillar and balcony and the intricate carvings and the harmony of design, all washed in years of care.  And the lady this morning, mature in her beauty and bearing, a person of substance in her apron and calling, quietly (it is a library after all) and unobtrusively carries on that caring and tending.  Last night I had written of this library as a sacrament, a place imbued with faith and searching for the deep down truth of things, an outward sign of an invisible grace, the vastness of lives and mystery and God. The thousands upon thousands of books and the struggles that lay behind them, each hard won, speak of the challenges and horizons and visions of their day. With the glow of the wood and the beauty of setting all we are invited into slowness and hush, reverence and openness, attention and humility.

And yet someone needs to clean the books, to wipe the brass and dust the shelves. The daily round and the regular caring for things builds and crests over decades so that more than 110 years later this place remains the treasure it is.   And of course all the good stuff in life that lasts the distance needs regular dusting.  Marriages, families, communities, schools, churches, friendships, even nations need that regular attention to detail, to be looked after with diligence and loyalty.  It’s neglecting the small stuff which unhinges things over time.  We’re on the lookout for the big ticket items: affairs, addictions, bad health news, big arguments, church splits, bankruptcy, headline issues of the day and so on.  We are, most of us, not undone by those. 

Only in realising the preciousness of what we have and how easy it can be lost will we give the small things the attention they need.   The courtesies, the regular checking in, the keeping of promises, the phone calls and visits, that long put off letter, the thankyou card and patient listening, the eye contact and offer to meet for coffee, the prayer meeting of MP’s, the honouring of difference, the encouraging word and speaking of truth in love, the biting of your tongue when you’re tired, the hug when it is needed and so on.

One of the poems I read while all was being dusted and cared for around me was written after Mary Oliver lost her partner of 40 years.   I hope it will inspire us to treasure and dust the good things in our lives:

Those Days

When I think of her I think of long summer days                                                                                      she lay in the sun, how she loved the sun, how we                                                                                    spread our blanket, and friends came, and


the dogs played, and then I would get restless and                                                                                    get up and go off to the woods                                                                                                                   and the fields, and the afternoon would


soften gradually and finally I would come                                                                                                 home, through the long shadows, and into the house                                                                                where she would be


my gloriously welcoming, tan and hungry and ready to tell                                                                      the hurtless gossips of the day and how I                                                                                                   listened leisurely while I put


around the room flowers in jars of water-                                                                                                  daisies, butter-and-eggs, and everlasting-                                                                                                  until like our lives they trembled and shimmered                                                                                     everywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid