Skip to main content

Driving over altars.


As I drive down Springburn road I always try to make sure I am on the outside lane after crossing the Keppochmill road junction.  This is so I don’t drive over the site of where the original altar of St James the Less used to be before the dual carriageway paved it over.  In the name of progress no doubt and the constant flow of traffic testifies to its necessity.  Yet the heart of Springburn as a community has been hollowed out with tenements and shops and work places all destroyed and replaced with functional but fairly heartless and uninspiring ‘modern’ buildings that already show the sign of age.    I was embarrassed that the introduction to Glasgow for my newly arrived Sri Lankan friends was the faintly depressing and down at heels local shopping centre. 

And yet in the middle of it was a fresh fruit and veg stall with a vibrant and warm woman and the family were able to buy all they needed, having just arrived off the plane the night before.  Then the local pastor of a Tamil church, replanted in the old local Gospel Hall, walked by and came over and welcomed them to Glasgow.   Communities find a way of reinventing themselves, life carries on as the old is replaced with something different, almost like a natural landscape evolving over time.  What starts as a necessary change, often at great human cost and with destructive power, is transformed organically into new forms of living.  The local primary school is full of faces from different parts of the world and in place of the great locomotive works which serviced the Empire is now a glistening retail park.

The original St James was founded largely by the influx of thousands of railway workers, including lots of ‘unbaptised Irish’ according to our records, to the three great yards that defined Springburn and the surrounding area for decades.  Opposite the retail park which replaced the St Rollox works were the high rise flats which replaced the Sighthill works.  These have now been reduced to rubble, sifted into huge piles of wood, stone, concrete and earth, the great machines separating out the constituent elements of what used to house hundreds of families.  I knew these flats well, dozens of apartments accommodating postgraduate students and their families from all over the world.   Drinking cups of coffee late at night, walking up and down countless stairs to advertise English classes in the local church, being invited into many homes for meals from all over the world, and always entering flats with no names.  For some reason the students never put their names on the door.  

And now these flats are gone and replaced with plans for new flats and houses- an improvement in many ways.  The church which did such great work has been replaced, further back but still serving the community and the new building reopens this Sunday.  And somewhere in the piles of sifted rubble lies shards of the altar of the old church.  It is likely that my Sri Lankan friends will put their younger daughter in the nursery next door, and her older sister feels quite at home in the primary school.

They’ve now started coming to St James, approaching the 40th anniversary of its move from Springburn to Bishopbriggs.   On their first Sunday the children came forward to receive the Eucharist, in front of the altar that had been moved before the dual carriageway paved it over.   As Yovana receive her wafer she noticed that her Scots pal hadn’t received one.  She broke hers in half in a most priestly of movements and shared it with her as they knelt together.    She may never know of the great rail works and the thousands of families that were the heart of Springburn, and the generations that have come and gone but she is forming her own community in a new day and sharing the gift of God on the altar of the world.

Audio file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W4GU9ygdRCfnHXPMpjP90bLIUTf7yIJe/view?usp=drivesdk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid