Skip to main content

Kingfisher country




At this time of year it's good to remember that bare branches are one of winter's many gifts.    Spring’s hopeful unfurling, summer’s rich fullness and autumn’s treasured passing are all echoed in the seasons of our lives, and so is winter’s unveiling.  This too is gift.   Walking along the side of the canal the branches are outlined clear and stark against the water, no place to hide, the early winter sun turning the still water into a glimmer with a hint of gold.  Then we see him, the still point around which the universe moves, intent, looking at the water, poised, ready, his incandescent blue like a hidden sapphire.  
It is SO easy to miss kingfishers, even in winter.  Their very stillness makes them almost impossible to see.  At least in winter if we stop and look carefully and patiently in the right places we may have a chance.  Their darting flight is so brief, sudden and unpredictable we just catch a flash out of the corner of our eye.  We stop in our stride, long for more of this avian mercurial wonder that never fails to lift our hearts… just one more glimpse…please.   The greyest of days, the starkest of trees are lit up by the blue red and white flash that speaks of life and beauty, miracles and wonder and the sheer unexpectedness of the world.

We are creatures of habit and routine who love our known places and safe areas.   We have our habitat both in the physical world in which we live and also in our inner world of ideas and spirit.  The familiar streets, parks, shops and faces of our neighbourhood are mirrored by known and trusted ideas, beliefs and values.   

The wonder of a kingfisher lies in the rarity of its’ coming, a freedom to grace our lives according to its’ time, not ours.  With kingfishers it can never be on our terms.  It is such a wonderful experience that unexpectedness, that sense of wonder, the catch in our throat.   It's tempting to want to have a kingfisher in a large aviary in the garden but we know deep down this would simply not be the same.   

We can wish the same for God, to capture that moment,  that experience and try to replicate it.  Or long for a more predictable and domesticated God who shows up when we want him to.  Just as we want  the kingfisher to become part of our habitat we want God to move into our inner neighbourhood, bless it and give it his seal of approval, to become a tame kingfisher.   The magic and wonder of the kingfisher touches our life with grace because it is a gift.  Breeding him to be part of our habitat leaves us with a bird that only looks the same but without the gift of the wild unexpected.

I lived for almost nine years near a river and saw kingfishers on  three fleeting occasions, but somehow that was enough.   I knew I lived in kingfisher country, a country where there are kingfishers and that the deep magic of wild grace still could burst in and out of my life.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solstice Nudge

  A Solstice Nudge At 3.47am this morning the solstice took place and the earth started its' long journey back towards summer (in the northern hemisphere at least!).   I always feel my heart lighten a little when this happens. It’s all about the direction of travel as I have so often said to people struggling with circumstances or a seeming lack of progress.    And the fact that I know we are heading towards warmth and light makes all the difference in the dark and the cold.   It reminds me that my current situation, however stalled it may feel, will one day pass. Such a change though rarely takes place in a dramatic and obvious ‘before and after’ kind of way.   Rather it feels like a nudge.   You would have to be looking very closely to notice that little tilt of the earth that starts the process.   I’ve just been looking at my weather app and over the next few days the sunset time moves by a minute each day: today:15.44;   23 rd : 15.45; 24 th :15:46 and 25 th 15:47.    (yes

Curiosity in Lent

  Lent starts on Wednesday and I've decided this year to cultivate  curiosity. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it came off the back of a school assembly I led yesterday for 200 17 year olds.  I was referencing Jesus' famous saying ' you will know the truth and the truth will set you free'. ( John 8:32). Amidst all the revising for exams and the importance of learning facts and answers I was hoping to inspire them with the sense of wonder they had as children and the curiosity that led them to ask questions.   Good questions sometimes are even more important than good answers. After a day today walking with Ina in the Trossachs and hanging out in our van afterwards reading and chatting and snoozing  I  felt the challenge of my own words the previous morning.    Lent is so often seen as a period of contraction, a narrowing of appetites, restricting of habits, scrutiny of motivations etc.  It is hard to get excited about Lent the way we may feel during Advent

A deep breath and a covenant prayer.

  It’s 9pm on the 31 st of December and rarely have I felt so uncertain about the coming year.    There seem way more instability than usual in our national and international systems and given the record of early 2020 and 2021 all bets are off that there’s not something else coming down the track.   Or perhaps October 7 th was that and it just came early.   Or maybe it is the metastatic fall out from that day which will dominate early 2024.    Tonight I’m at the top of a big wave,   hovering there waiting, feeling rarely more alive just as the pre-reptilian bit of my brain flashes all the danger signals.   A deep   breath. And yet I am reminded of the prayer I led my church in this morning, written in the mid eighteenth century by John Wesley and since become an integral part of the Methodist Community’s life. I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you, or laid asid